Search this site for your business needs...

Thursday, September 17, 2009

How to Turn Promotions into Big Sales

Todays lesson is in customer service / running promotions and making that customer service and promotions turn into sales.

Earlier I vented in a post on my personal blog (http://tori_thompson.blogspot.com ) about how so many companies give TOO MUCH *customer service* and it ends up feeling like harassment for the buyer. The last thing you want to do is lose business by being too over-aggressive with your promotions.

A great example of this is Victorias Secret. As I wrote on my original post; the second you walk into the store you are hounded by employees who rattle off lists of promotions then begin questioning what your shopping for, if you smelled the new perfume or tried on the new bra, etc.
It gets to the point that you run into the store and try to "hide from" employees just so you don't have to have a half hour conversation over products you have zero interest in.

Of course, as business owners, we want our shoppers to know about our promotions, but being an in-your-face "commercial" isn't the best way to go.

Both first-time customers and repeat buyers need the opportunity to browse your selection of products. If you jump on them the second they step foot in the door you may make them feel worthless. If a customer thinks they are nothing more than a dollar sign, they feel "worthless" and would rather shop with a company that values them.

HOW TO MAKE PROMOTIONS EQUAL SALES
If you want to turn your promos into dollars you need strategy.
Allow your customer to come in. Greet them with a "hello!" Then follow it up with something non-sales-related; "isn't it HOT outside?" Or "I LOVE your purse!"; this opens the lines of communication between you and the customer. It tells them you're kind and friendly. Now if they have a question or want to chat they'll come right up to you.

Next, let them browse. Eventually they will "hover" around a product of interest.
Now is the time to seal the deal; the customer is already interested in buying the lotions, once you tell them the lotions are on special, you've just made a sale. And, since you treated them so well, they may even buy more than planned.

Either way, the customer leaves the store remembering that you were nice and they got a great deal; do I smell a repeat buyer? JACKPOT!

ADDITIONAL WAYS TO PROMOTE
Don't let your promotions just be "word of mouth"! Use every additional channel possible to get the word out;

1. Online website. I created a free blog/website for my business (http://vspinknation.blogspot.com ). Its by no means "fancy" but it generates income. In fact, I am now doing more online business than I am in my physical location! I post my new inventory and promotions on the site daily. I also have write ups with info about where my physical location is and my terms and conditions. Its a win-win asset. It costs nothing and makes money.

2. Twitter. I also made a Twitter for my store (http://twitter.com/vspinknation). On Twitter I post coupons, promotions, etc.

3. Signs. Don't forget to post signs in your store! Just print them off a computer or hand write them. People always read signs. Its a far better way to broadcast a promotion than jumping on a new customer.

4. Write it down. Make 1/4 page flyers, write it on the back of business cards or write it on the receipt. If a customer has record of the dates of your promotion they'll remember to come back in and shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment